The Prelude is just the wheel for beginners, or perhaps a second wheel for others. It has the look of an antique wheel and the high degree of wood turning that the Kromskis are famous for, but it also has all the touches modern spinners expect.
The Prelude is a single-drive-only whee. The great news here is that it uses the same bobbins as all the other Kromski wheels. This means that, as you consider adding a second or third Kromski wheel, you know your bobbins will work with all the different models.
The Prelude is easy to treadle, easy to transport, and has an 18″ diameter wheel (same as the Kromski Minstrel) for excellent ratios. If you like, you can swivel the mother-of-all in line with the bench for a more compact “package” when moving the wheel or for storage.
The Prelude is made of European alder and birch.
• wheel diameter – 18″
• orifice height – 26″; size – 3/8″
• bobbin size – full 4 oz.; 3 included –
• also includes threading hook, attached Lazy Kate, video and bottle of spinning wheel oil
• Ratios: 6, 10.5, and 13 to 1
• bearings on wheel shaft, bobbins; leather bearings on flyer
• weight – 9 lbs.
• polycord drive band is included – optional hemp driveband is available for reenactors
This wheel comes boxed as a kit but goes together quickly. It is available unfinished or with a factory clear, walnut or mahogany finish that is exceptional.